Tahini. In my opinion a completely underrated, underdog ingredient when it comes to baking. On its own the flavour can be overpowering and slightly bitter for some but combine it with those sweet nuggets of white chocolate and you've created a cookie A-lister! Sweet, salty and perfect alongside a warm cuppa. This recipe may take some patience but all good things take a little extra time to get the best results!
- 115g Soft Unsalted Butter
- 120g Tahini
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 90g Soft light brown sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1tsp Vanilla Bean Paste or extract
- 160g Plain Flour
- 3/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1tsp Salt
- 200g White Chocolate Buttons - Chopped
- 25g Sesame Seeds
- Wash your hands!
- In a freestanding electric mixer (can also be done with a wooden spoon and some elbow grease!) beat together the butter, tahini and both sugars for a couple minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix again being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl every so often to ensure everything is fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Stir the chopped white chocolate buttons through the dry ingredients.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet on a low speed until it comes together to form a dough. Be careful not to over mix!
- Cover the dough and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours. Don't skip this step! Patience is key to create the perfect cookie and i promise its well worth the wait!!
- Once refrigerated preheat the oven to 160 degrees and line two baking trays with parchment.
- Portion the dough into 50g balls (or roughly a tablespoon amount) rolling them between the palms of your hands.
- Place your sesame seeds onto a plate or in a small bowl and dip each cookie dough ball into the seeds to form a light coating.
- Place on the pre- lined baking trays at a good distance apart as they will spread whilst baking.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and bake in the pre heated oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Leave to cool and firm up slightly then enjoy the wonders of sweet and salt combined!!