Don’t know about you but my favourite part of a crumble has always been the topping. So why not shake things up and sprinkle it on more than just some stewed fruit by adding it to muffins instead! Soft pillowy muffin sponge with pockets of chocolate and a crunchy crumble top providing all the textures and contrast. Yum!
Be warned - these are dangerously easy to make!
- 75g Plain Flour
- 25g Caster Sugar
- 50g Cold unsalted butter
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 320g Buttermilk (homemade = 375ml of milk of choice + 1.5tbsp lemon juice)
- 2 Large eggs
- 70ml Flavourless oil
- 70g Melted butter
- 270g Plain Flour
- 140g Caster Sugar
- 65g Light soft brown sugar
- 1.5tsp Baking Powder
- 200g Milk chocolate buttons
Top Tip - HOMEMADE BUTTERMILK
Not got any buttermilk lying around? Not a problem as it's super simple to make from scratch. Simply whisk together 375ml of milk with 1.5tbsp of lemon juice and leave to thicken for roughly 15 minutes. Ta-da! You've got yourself some home made buttermilk. Make sure to prepare this prior to making the muffins and you will only need 320g of it for this particular recipe.
- Start by washing your hands thoroughly then you're good to go!
- In a bowl add all the crumble ingredients including: flour, sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt. Rub together between your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumb consistency with no lumps of butter remaining.
- Keep in the fridge until later.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a 12 hole cupcake tray with large cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl add the wet ingredients: Buttermilk, eggs, oil, melted butter and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together: plain flour, both sugars and baking powder and whisk to combine.
- Next, chop the milk chocolate buttons into slightly smaller chunks and stir through the dry ingredients until fully coated. This will prevent the chocolate from sinking to the bottom of the muffins whilst baking.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and fold together until fully combined being careful not to over mix.
- Distribute the batter evenly between the 12 cases using roughly 2tbsp per muffin case or filling until 3/4 of the way full.
- Sprinkle the chilled crumble topping generously over each muffin.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until they turn a lovely golden brown or a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool and enjoy!